Today it’s Palm Sunday and we’re getting into Easter mode. The easter bunny will bring some chocolate for many kids and he’ll probably visit also our house. Besides chocolate my favourite Easter flavour is lemon. I always bake something with lemons during Easter time. Maybe it’s because of the yellow color that gets me into spring mode. Or maybe I need something to balance all the chocolate. This lemon ginger Digestive trifle is also a healthyish dessert suitable for the whole family.
There are quite many Digestive cookies on the market. I’m happy to make this collaboration with McVitie’s, because they make the best and original Digestive cookies. They baked their first Digestive cookies already in 1892 and they are always made with the finest, wholesome ingredients. I was happy to get two kinds of their delicious cookies, the original and milk chocolate Digestives. I used the original cookies in my recipe and enjoyed lots of the milk chocolate version during cooking. They are also perfect with an afternoon coffee.
In my recipe, I toasted the Digestive cookies in the oven with some honey, ginger and lemon. I like the consistency that the toasting brings to the cookies. But this is totally optional. The cookies taste so good, you can use them in the trifle straight out of the package. And then you really have a nice and super easy dessert in just five minutes. You could also layer some cookies that are toasted and use the original Digestive cookies or even the milk chocolate Digestive cookies for half of the layers.
I wanted to make this lemon ginger Digestive trifle a non-dairy dessert, so I used a vegan vanilla cream made with oats. You can also use whipped cream or coconut cream if you like. Then I added some raspberries and lemon balm on top.
Lemon Grinder Digestive Trifle
- 150g / 5oz McVitie’s Digestive original cookies
- 1-2 tbsp honey*
- 1 tsp ginger (freshly grated)
- zest of half a lemon
- whipped cream or a non-dairy option
- (zest of half a lemon)
- lemon balm
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit degrees.
- Crumble the cookies into a slightly oiled oven tray.
- Add the honey, ginger and lemon zest.
- Toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Let the crumble cool down for a while.
- Whip the cream and season with lemon zest if you like.
- Assemble the desserts into glasses. Begin with a layer of cookie crumble, then continue with layers of cream and cookie crumble.
- Add raspberries and lemon balm on top if you like
Remember that honey is not suitable for kids under 12 months.
I hope you enjoy the lemon ginger Digestive trifle! This time we are also posting the recipe in Finnish